Monday 17 March 2014

You can't catch me

Old Man Winter loosened his grip the week before March Break for just long enough to get outside. It was a looooong and cold winter. The children expressed their joy by running madly like prisoners released from jail!

After burning off the energy, some children settled into projects involving digging and moving snow. Another group started a running game, which upon observation, was very interesting.


The game is probably familiar to many of us. When I was a girl, we called it the Kissy Game. The group is divided in two groups - the boys and the girls - and one group chases the other. On this particular day, the boys were chasing the girls. Thankfully, no kissing was involved!


After watching quietly for a few minutes to get a feel for the game, I intervened and asked what would happen when if the boys "got" a girl. They shrugged their shoulders and said "Nothing, I guess." Clearly, the object of the game wasn't to catch, but to chase.

The girls seemed to be more interested in the game. Occasionally, the boys would lose interest and start to wander off, at which point the girls would encourage them to "Come and get me! C'mon! Come get me!" When the boys gave chase, the girls let out bloodcurdling screams and realistic cries of "Help! Help! He's gonna get me!", all while flailing their arms dramatically.


As I watched this all unfold, the feminist in me became a bit concerned. Why are the girls acting the victim, and actively encouraging the boys to pursue them? I've seen similar games where girls are locked in "cages" against the fence and are held captive by other children. I've never been totally comfortable with it, despite knowing that healthy children need to explore dark feelings in a safe environment like school.

I decided to intervene again and I suggested they turn the tables so the girls chase the boys.

The girls would have none of it. "No, they have to get us," they said matter-of-factly. The boys weren't too keen on it either, with the exception of one boy who decided to join the girl team and be chased. But he quickly gave up and switched back to being a pursuer. Eventually, after much screaming, flailing and growling, they ran out of steam and collapsed on the snow.


So what is it that make young girls want to be chased, and boys want to chase? How early do ideas about gender roles get ingrained? Why do healthy children need to explore dark, scary experiences through play? If you have any thoughts, I'd love to have a discussion in the comments below. Parents and teachers are all welcome to weigh in.



No comments:

Post a Comment